Frequently asked questions

Below are some frequently asked questions. If your question is not among them and you cannot find the answer on our website, please contact us.

No. You can travel to the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom without a visa. The countries of the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands are Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten and the Caribbean Netherlands (these are the islands of Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba). You do need: a valid passport, a return ticket, sufficient resources for your stay and a lodging address.

No, you do not need a visa for Curaçao. You do need:

  • Valid passport.

  • Valid residence permit.

  • Return ticket.

  • Sufficient resources for your stay.

  • The required documents to enable you to return to your home country or to another country.

If you have the Dutch nationality, you will be granted a “Van Rechtswege Toelating” (Automatic Admission). This will not be for an indefinite period of time but for the period specified in the placement agreement. You will further need:

  • Valid passport.

  • Return ticket.

  • Sufficient resources for your stay.

  • The required documents to enable you to return to your home country or to another country.

  • Copy of your birth certificate *(not older than 6 months).

  • Certificate of Good Conduct (not older than 3 months).

  • Placement agreement. This document also serves as proof of sufficient means.

  • Statement drawn up by the educational institution stating that the internship is a requirement for the training.

  • Form: Verklaring van Rechtswege (Declaration of sufficient resources).

You can request an emergency travel document.

In the first place you must go to one of the following municipalities: The Hague, Enschede, Maastricht, Echt-Susteren, Oldambt to apply for a new passport there.

In case of loss, you must first report this to the police.

The Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Netherlands Military Constabulary) may in exceptional circumstances grant an emergency extension or issue an emergency passport (temporary travel document) if certain strict criteria are met.

You will need the following documents:

  • A police report (if lost and/or stolen).

  • Expired Dutch passport (if expired).

  • Proof of deregistration from Curaçao and/or certificate of residence (maximum 3 weeks old).

  • Costs approximately € 67,11.

  • Surcharge emergency procedure approximately € 45,90.

  • Surcharge if lost or stolen approximately € 35,80.

If your driving license expired more than six months ago, you must retake a driver’s test in Curaçao. You can renew your driving license in the country where you obtained it.

If you live in the Netherlands and your Curaçao driving license has expired, been stolen or is lost, you can request a duplicate from the AJZ Department of the Curaçao House.

Procedure for requesting duplicate (valid Curaçao driving license issued at Curaçao from 15 June 2001)

You will need the following documents:

  • Statement from police reporting missing (police report).(zie opmerkingen hierboven)

  • Copy of a valid passport.

  • A written request to the Office of the Minister Plenipotentiary for Curaçao to mediate, in which you authorize a contact in Curaçao who will be able to receive the duplicate in your name. In the written request, you must specify the details of the authorized person (family or an acquaintance): full forenames, family name, address and telephone number.

  • Payment of ANG 95.00 must be made locally (Curaçao) by the authorized person, who must also identify themselves.

Forward to:

The Office of the Minister Plenipotentiary for Curaçao
AJZ Department
P.O. Box 30706  2509 LS The Hague

  • Dogs and cats must be covered by a valid health declaration which is no older than 2 weeks. A recognised veterinarian must complete a declaration confirming this in the EU pets’ passport. The dog or cat must also be equipped with a chip.

  • Rabies: dogs and cats must be inoculated against this. The rabies vaccination must be given no more than 1 year and no less than 1 month prior to departure. Rabies vaccinations with a period of validity of 3 years according to the manufacturer may also be administered, (brand name, manufacturer and date of vaccination to be stated in the EU pets’ passport).

  • Dogs and cats must be free of both internal and external parasites (in particular ticks). They must be treated with a registered animal medication and insecticides between 24 and 48 hours prior to departure. Name and treatment date must be stated in the pets’ passport.

In addition it is advisable to also vaccinate cats for Feline Leukaemia. Does your pet belong to a protected species? Then you must have a CITES document for your pet, in addition to an EU passport.

Taking pitbull–type dogs to Curaçao is prohibited.
Animals may not be imported via Central or South America. Dogs, cats and apes originating from South and Central America, excluding Suriname, may NOT be imported or transported via Curaçao and will be sent back immediately on the return flight!

Since 26 June 26 2012, children of all ages require their own passport when they travel abroad. If a single parent or someone other than the parents (for example a family member) is  traveling with a child some countries (including Curaçao) require a letter from the parent(s) stating that they consent (Statement of Consent) with this trip. Therefore, the Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Netherlands Military Constabulary) advises parents/relatives to bring the following documents:

  • Letter granting the other parent permission for the holiday.

  • Recent extract Custody Registry.

  • Recent extract Personal Records Database (BRP) of the child.

  • Copy of the passport of the parent granting permission.

  • Decision of a court with respect to custody (if present).

  • Copy of the birth certificate (if present).

Yes, you need a visa to enter Curaçao. You can apply for the visa at the embassy or consulate of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in your country.

No. In the past, the Netherlands had a financial arrangement for people from Curaçao who wanted to return voluntarily to their homeland. The repatriation aid (popularly called “oprotpremie”) was a benefit designed to facilitate the repatriation to amongst others Curaçao. The Dutch government has for some time stopped providing financial compensation for people who want to remigrate to Curaçao. 

Coronavirus information read more