Residence / working

Do you want to emigrate to Curaçao? Or do you want to work here temporarily or take part in an internship? Then you need amongst others a “Verklaring van Rechtswege” (Residence Permit).

It is important to be aware of the following facts:

Individuals with the Dutch nationality:

  • who do not fall under the scope of article 1 of the Landsverordening Toelating en Uitzending (LTU) (National Admission and Deportation Ordinance) are admitted by operation of law;
  • that want to work and/or reside in Curaçao have to avail of a “Verklaring van Rechtswege” (Residence Permit) may seek employment or acquaint themselves with the job market on the island during a tourist visit but may not be in the workplace;
  • may submit their application in Curaçao.

You can submit the application for a “Verklaring van Rechtswege” via the Application form Verklaring van Rechtswege. You may already be on the island when you complete and submit this form. You also may be present in the workplace pending receipt of the “Verklaring van Rechtswege” but you must be able to provide proof of your application!

Individuals who do not have the Dutch nationality:

  • must apply for a work permit;
  • may not seek employment during a tourist visit;
  • have to avail of a work permit in their own country before they can live and/or work in Curaçao.

You can apply for a work permit with the Toelatingsorganisatie (Admissions Organization).


Coronavirus information read more